What is the antonym of “commence”?
The antonyms of commence are end, conclude, and terminate. These words convey the opposite meaning of commence, which means to begin or start something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To bring something to a conclusion or finish.
The concert will end at 10 pm.
To bring something to an end or reach a decision or agreement.
The meeting will conclude with a vote on the proposal.
To bring something to an end or put an end to something abruptly.
The company decided to terminate the project due to budget constraints.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1End is a general term that describes the conclusion of something.
- 2Conclude is a more specific term that implies reaching a decision or agreement.
- 3Terminate is a stronger term that suggests ending something abruptly or forcefully.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Writing: Use these antonyms to add variety to your writing and avoid repetition.
- 2Improve Vocabulary: Learn these antonyms to expand your vocabulary and improve your communication skills.
- 3Enrich Speaking: Incorporate these antonyms in your conversations to express yourself more effectively.
The antonyms of commence are end, conclude, and terminate. These words have distinct nuances: End is a general term, conclude implies reaching a decision or agreement, and terminate suggests ending something abruptly. Use these antonyms to enhance your writing, improve your vocabulary, and enrich your speaking.