What is the antonym of “commensurability”?
The antonyms of commensurability are incommensurability and disproportionality. These words describe the lack of proportion or balance between two things.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The lack of a common measure or standard for comparison; the inability to be compared or judged by the same criteria.
The difference in their salaries was so vast that there was an incommensurability between their earnings.
The state of being out of proportion or unequal in size, amount, or degree.
The disproportionality of the punishment did not fit the crime.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Incommensurability refers to the inability to compare two things using the same criteria or standard.
- 2Disproportionality refers to the lack of balance or proportion between two things.
Good things to know
- 1Mathematics: Use incommensurability to describe numbers that cannot be expressed as a ratio of two integers.
- 2Social Justice: Use disproportionality to describe inequalities in access to resources, opportunities, or rights.
- 3Politics: Use incommensurability to describe differences in values, beliefs, or ideologies that make compromise difficult or impossible.