What is the antonym of “committing”?
The antonyms of committing are avoiding, abstaining from, and refraining from. These antonyms convey the idea of not doing something or deliberately choosing to stay away from it.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Keeping away from someone or something.
She is avoiding sugar to maintain a healthy diet.
Deliberately choosing not to do or have something.
He is abstaining from alcohol for religious reasons.
Holding back from doing something.
She is refraining from commenting on the issue until she has all the facts.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Avoiding implies keeping away from someone or something, while abstaining from and refraining from suggest a deliberate choice not to do something.
- 2Abstaining from is often used in the context of avoiding something that is considered harmful or unhealthy, while refraining from can be used in a broader sense to describe holding back from any action.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Communication: Use these antonyms to express the idea of not doing something effectively.
- 2Improve Vocabulary: Learn these antonyms to expand your vocabulary and improve your writing skills.
- 3Enrich Debates: Utilize these antonyms in debates to present opposing viewpoints and strengthen arguments.
The antonyms of committing convey the idea of not doing something or deliberately choosing to stay away from it. Avoiding implies keeping away from someone or something, while abstaining from and refraining from suggest a deliberate choice not to do something. Use these antonyms to enhance communication, improve vocabulary, and enrich debates.