What is the antonym of “compellable”?
The antonyms of compellable are voluntary and optional. The antonyms voluntary and optional convey the opposite meaning of compellable, which means that something is required or mandatory.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Done, given, or acting of one's own free will; not forced or compelled.
She decided to volunteer at the animal shelter on a voluntary basis.
Left to one's choice or discretion; not required or mandatory.
The dessert was optional, so she decided to skip it.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Voluntary implies that something is done by choice, without being forced or compelled.
- 2Optional implies that something is not required or mandatory, and can be chosen or skipped.
- 3Compellable implies that something is required or mandatory, and cannot be avoided or skipped.
Good things to know
- 1Legal Terminology: Use compellable in legal contexts to describe evidence or witnesses that can be forced to appear in court.
- 2Instructions: Use optional to describe tasks or activities that are not required but can be done if desired.
- 3Volunteering: Use voluntary to describe work or services that are done willingly and without pay.
The antonyms of compellable are voluntary and optional. Voluntary implies that something is done by choice, optional implies that something is not required, and compellable implies that something is required or mandatory. These words can be used in legal terminology, instructions, and volunteering contexts.