What is the antonym of “concur”?
The antonyms of concur are disagree, dissent, and contradict. These words convey a lack of agreement or harmony in opinions, beliefs, or actions.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To have a different opinion, belief, or feeling from someone else; to not agree.
I disagree with your assessment of the situation.
To hold a different opinion or belief from the majority or those in power; to express disagreement or opposition.
Several members of the committee dissented from the proposed policy.
To assert the opposite of what someone else has said or done; to deny or refute the truth or validity of something.
Her testimony contradicts his alibi.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Disagree implies a difference of opinion or belief.
- 2Dissent suggests a disagreement with the majority or those in power.
- 3Contradict means to assert the opposite of what someone else has said or done.
Good things to know
- 1Express Disagreement: Use disagree, dissent, and contradict to express disagreement or opposition in discussions or debates.
- 2Clarify Misunderstandings: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to clarify misunderstandings and ensure mutual understanding.
- 3Enrich Writing: Utilize these antonyms in writing to create conflict and tension in narratives.
The antonyms of concur are disagree, dissent, and contradict. Use these words to express disagreement or opposition, clarify misunderstandings, and enrich writing by creating conflict and tension in narratives.