What is the antonym of “condone”?
The antonym of condone are condemn, denounce, and disapprove. These words convey a negative judgment or criticism towards an action or behavior.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Express complete disapproval of; censure.
The government condemned the terrorist attack and vowed to bring the perpetrators to justice.
Publicly declare to be wrong or evil; criticize severely.
The opposition party denounced the new policy as discriminatory and harmful to the people.
Have an unfavorable opinion or judgment about something; express disapproval.
My parents disapprove of my decision to drop out of college and pursue a career in music.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Condemn implies a strong and explicit condemnation of an action or behavior.
- 2Denounce suggests a public and formal denunciation of something that is considered wrong or evil.
- 3Disapprove is a milder term that conveys a general sense of disapproval or dissatisfaction.
Good things to know
- 1Express Disapproval: Use condemn, denounce, and disapprove to express negative judgment or criticism towards an action or behavior.
- 2Discuss Ethics: Incorporate these antonyms in discussions about ethical issues and moral dilemmas.
- 3Analyze News: Utilize these words to analyze news articles and media reports that involve controversial topics or events.