What is the antonym of “confront”?
The antonyms of confront are avoid, evade, and ignore. These words convey the opposite meaning of confronting, which is to face or deal with a difficult situation or person.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To keep away from; to prevent from happening.
He decided to avoid the party because he didn't want to see his ex-girlfriend.
To escape or avoid by cleverness or deceit.
The politician tried to evade questions about his involvement in the scandal.
To pay no attention to; to disregard.
She chose to ignore her friend's advice and went ahead with her plan.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Avoid implies keeping away from something or someone to prevent it from happening.
- 2Evade suggests escaping or avoiding something by using cleverness or deceit.
- 3Ignore means paying no attention to something or someone, disregarding it completely.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Communication: Use these antonyms to express the opposite meaning of confront in conversations.
- 2Improve Vocabulary: Learn these words to expand your vocabulary and improve your writing skills.
- 3Enrich Reading: Look for these antonyms in books and articles to understand the context and meaning of the text.
The antonyms of confront are avoid, evade, and ignore. Use these words to express the opposite meaning of confronting, which is to keep away from, escape, or disregard something or someone. Learning these words can help you expand your vocabulary, improve your writing skills, and understand the context of what you read.