The Opposite(Antonym) of “congratulation”
The antonyms of congratulations are condolences and sympathy. The antonyms condolences and sympathy convey a negative or sorrowful emotional state. It implies a lack of happiness, satisfaction, or pleasure.
Explore all Antonyms of “congratulation”
Definitions and Examples of condolences, sympathy
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
An expression of sympathy, especially on the occasion of a death.
I would like to offer my sincere condolences for your loss.
Feelings of pity and sorrow for someone else's misfortune.
She expressed her sympathy for the victims of the natural disaster.
Key Differences: condolences vs sympathy
- 1Condolences is a specific term used to express sympathy on the occasion of a death.
- 2Sympathy is a general term used to express pity and sorrow for someone else's misfortune.
Effective Usage of condolences, sympathy
- 1Express Condolences: Use condolences to express sympathy on the occasion of a death.
- 2Show Empathy: Incorporate sympathy in conversations to demonstrate understanding and support.
- 3Enrich Vocabulary: Utilize these antonyms in writing to add variety and depth to your language.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Condolences is used to express sympathy on the occasion of a death, while sympathy is a general term used to express pity and sorrow for someone else's misfortune. Use these words to express condolences, show empathy in conversations, and enrich your vocabulary.