What is the antonym of “conventional”?
The antonym of conventional is unconventional, nontraditional, and unorthodox. The antonyms unconventional, nontraditional, and unorthodox describe something that is not typical or conforming to the usual standards or norms.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not based on or conforming to what is generally done or believed.
She had an unconventional approach to problem-solving that often yielded creative solutions.
Not conforming to or aligned with traditional or conventional beliefs or practices.
He pursued a nontraditional career path, opting for entrepreneurship instead of a corporate job.
Contrary to what is usual, traditional, or accepted; not orthodox.
His unorthodox teaching methods challenged students to think critically and creatively.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Unconventional implies a departure from the norm or standard practices.
- 2Nontraditional refers to something that does not conform to traditional or conventional beliefs or practices.
- 3Unorthodox suggests a deviation from established or accepted norms or doctrines.
Good things to know
- 1Express Opinions: Use these antonyms to express opinions on topics that challenge conventional thinking.
- 2Describe Personalities: Incorporate these antonyms to describe people who have unique or non-conformist personalities.
- 3Discuss Trends: Utilize these antonyms to discuss trends that deviate from traditional or conventional practices.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Unconventional implies a departure from the norm, nontraditional refers to something that does not conform to traditional beliefs, and unorthodox suggests a deviation from established norms. Use these words to express opinions, describe personalities, and discuss trends that challenge conventional thinking.