What is the antonym of “counterfeit”?
The antonyms of counterfeit are genuine and authentic. The antonyms genuine and authentic convey the idea of something being real, original, or legitimate.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Truly what something is said to be; authentic.
The painting was confirmed to be genuine after extensive analysis by experts.
Of undisputed origin and not a copy; genuine.
The museum had an authentic Viking helmet on display that dated back to the 10th century.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Genuine emphasizes the authenticity of something and implies that it is not fake or counterfeit.
- 2Authentic emphasizes the originality of something and implies that it is not a copy or imitation.
Good things to know
- 1Product Reviews: Use genuine and authentic to describe products that are not counterfeit or fake.
- 2Historical Accounts: Use authentic to describe historical artifacts or documents that are original and not copies.
- 3Legal Documents: Use genuine to describe legal documents that are not forged or altered.
The antonyms genuine and authentic convey the idea of something being real, original, or legitimate. Genuine emphasizes authenticity, while authentic emphasizes originality. Use these words in product reviews, historical accounts, and legal documents to describe items that are not counterfeit or fake.