What is the antonym of “criminality”?
The antonyms of criminality are lawfulness and uprightness. The antonyms lawfulness and uprightness convey a positive and lawful state of being, implying adherence to the law and ethical standards.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The quality or state of being in accordance with the law; legality.
The police officers ensured the lawfulness of the protest by monitoring the crowd and ensuring that no laws were broken.
The quality or state of being honest, moral, and ethical.
The judge was known for his uprightness and impartiality, which earned him the respect of both the prosecution and defense.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Lawfulness refers to adherence to the law, while uprightness refers to adherence to ethical standards.
- 2Lawfulness is a complementary antonym, while uprightness is a gradable antonym.
Good things to know
- 1Legal Context: Use lawfulness to describe legal compliance and adherence to the law.
- 2Ethical Context: Use uprightness to describe adherence to ethical standards and moral principles.
- 3Character Description: Use these antonyms to describe characters in stories and narratives.
The antonyms of criminality are lawfulness and uprightness. Lawfulness refers to adherence to the law, while uprightness refers to adherence to ethical standards. Use these words in legal and ethical contexts, as well as in character descriptions in stories and narratives.