What is the antonym of “cultivating”?
The antonyms of cultivating are neglecting and abandoning. The antonyms neglecting and abandoning convey a lack of attention, care, or effort towards something or someone.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Failing to give proper attention or care to someone or something.
If you keep neglecting your plants, they will eventually wither and die.
Ceasing to support or look after someone or something; leaving behind or deserting.
The owner decided to abandon the project due to lack of funds and resources.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Neglecting implies a lack of attention or care towards something or someone, while cultivating implies actively nurturing and developing it.
- 2Abandoning implies completely giving up on something or someone, while cultivating implies investing time and effort to help it grow and thrive.
Good things to know
- 1Gardening: Use cultivating to describe the process of growing plants and neglecting to describe the lack of care given to them.
- 2Relationships: Use cultivating to describe the effort put into maintaining healthy relationships and abandoning to describe the act of giving up on them.
- 3Personal Growth: Use cultivating to describe the process of developing skills and knowledge and neglecting to describe the lack of effort put into self-improvement.