What is the antonym of “cutback”?
The antonyms of cutback are increase and expansion. The antonyms increase and expansion convey a positive or growing state. It implies a growth in size, quantity, or intensity.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To become or make greater in size, quantity, or degree.
The company decided to increase the salaries of its employees to boost morale.
The action of becoming larger or more extensive.
The expansion of the business into new markets led to increased profits.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Increase is a verb that describes the act of making something bigger or more numerous.
- 2Expansion is a noun that describes the process of becoming larger or more extensive.
Good things to know
- 1Business: Use increase and expansion to describe growth in sales, profits, or market share.
- 2Personal Finance: Use increase to describe a rise in income, savings, or investments.
- 3Politics: Use increase and expansion to describe policies aimed at boosting economic growth and job creation.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Increase denotes growth in size, quantity, or degree, while expansion refers to the process of becoming larger or more extensive. Use these words in business, personal finance, and politics to describe growth and progress.