What is the antonym of “cute”?
The antonyms of cute are ugly, unattractive, and repulsive. The antonyms ugly, unattractive, and repulsive convey a negative or unappealing physical appearance. It implies a lack of beauty, charm, or attractiveness.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Unpleasant or repulsive in appearance.
The old building was ugly and rundown.
Not pleasing or appealing to the senses, especially to the sight.
The new dress looked unattractive on her and didn't fit well.
Causing intense disgust or aversion; extremely unpleasant.
The smell of the garbage was so repulsive that it made me feel sick.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Ugly is a general term that describes an unpleasant or unappealing appearance.
- 2Unattractive is a more specific term that describes a lack of beauty or appeal.
- 3Repulsive is a stronger term that describes something that causes intense disgust or aversion.
Good things to know
- 1Describing Physical Appearance: Use these antonyms to describe people, animals, or objects that have an unappealing appearance.
- 2Expressing Dislike: Incorporate these antonyms in conversations to express dislike or aversion towards something or someone.
- 3Critiquing Art or Design: Utilize these antonyms to critique art, fashion, or design that lacks beauty or appeal.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Ugly conveys a general unpleasant appearance, unattractive denotes a lack of beauty or appeal, and repulsive refers to something that causes intense disgust or aversion. Use these words to describe physical appearance, express dislike, or critique art and design that lacks beauty or appeal.