What is the antonym of “day”?
The antonyms of day are night and darkness. The antonyms night and darkness represent the absence of light or the period when the sun is not visible in the sky.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The period of darkness between sunset and sunrise.
She loved to stargaze at night and admire the constellations.
The absence or lack of light; the state of being dark.
The darkness of the room made it hard for her to find her phone.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Night is a specific period of time, while darkness is a general term that describes the absence of light.
- 2Night is a complementary antonym, while darkness is a gradable antonym.
Good things to know
- 1Describing Time: Use day and night to describe different periods of the day.
- 2Creating Atmosphere: Use darkness to create a sense of mystery or suspense in writing.
- 3Expressing Emotions: Use darkness to express negative emotions such as fear or sadness.
The antonyms of day are night and darkness. Night is a specific period of time, while darkness is a general term that describes the absence of light. Use these words to describe time, create atmosphere, and express emotions.