What is the antonym of “debout”?
The antonyms of debout are sitting, lying, and prone. These antonyms describe different positions of the body.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Resting on one's buttocks and supporting the body with the thighs and legs.
She was sitting on the couch, watching TV.
Resting on a surface in a horizontal position.
He was lying on the bed, reading a book.
Lying flat with the face downward.
After a long day at work, he was prone on the floor, trying to relax his muscles.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Sitting is a position where the body is supported by the buttocks and legs.
- 2Lying is a position where the body is resting horizontally on a surface.
- 3Prone is a position where the body is lying flat with the face down.
Good things to know
- 1Describing Positions: Use these antonyms to describe different positions of the body.
- 2Giving Directions: Use these antonyms to give directions or instructions.
- 3Enrich Vocabulary: Incorporate these antonyms in your daily conversations to expand your vocabulary.