What is the antonym of “decried”?
The antonyms of decried are praise, commend, and applaud. These words convey a positive or approving sentiment towards something or someone, in contrast to decried which implies strong disapproval or criticism.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To express approval or admiration for someone or something.
The teacher praised the student for their hard work and dedication.
To express approval or recommendation for someone or something.
The manager commended the employee for their excellent performance and suggested them for promotion.
To show approval or appreciation by clapping hands or making other sounds.
The audience applauded the performer's outstanding talent and gave them a standing ovation.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Praise is a general term that describes expressing approval or admiration.
- 2Commend is a more specific term that implies giving a recommendation or endorsement.
- 3Applaud is a complementary term that describes showing approval or appreciation through clapping or other sounds.
Good things to know
- 1Express Approval: Use praise, commend, and applaud to express approval or admiration for someone or something.
- 2Give Recommendations: Use commend to give recommendations or endorsements for someone or something.
- 3Show Appreciation: Use applaud to show appreciation or approval through clapping or other sounds.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Praise conveys general approval, commend implies giving a recommendation, and applaud describes showing appreciation through clapping or other sounds. Use these words to express approval, give recommendations, and show appreciation.