What is the antonym of “defensively”?
The antonyms of defensively are offensively and aggressively. The antonyms offensively and aggressively convey a different approach to a situation or action. It implies a lack of defensiveness and a willingness to take the initiative.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
In a manner that is likely to cause offense or harm.
He spoke offensively about her appearance, which made her feel uncomfortable.
In a manner that is forceful, competitive, or confrontational.
The company pursued its goals aggressively, often at the expense of its employees.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Offensively refers to behavior that is likely to cause offense or harm.
- 2Aggressively refers to behavior that is forceful, competitive, or confrontational.
Good things to know
- 1Sports: Use defensively and offensively in sports to describe different strategies.
- 2Conflict Resolution: Use defensively and aggressively in conflict resolution to describe different approaches.
- 3Business: Use defensively and aggressively in business to describe different management styles.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Offensively refers to behavior that is likely to cause offense or harm, while aggressively refers to behavior that is forceful, competitive, or confrontational. Use these words in sports, conflict resolution, and business to describe different strategies and approaches.