What is the antonym of “defile”?
The antonyms of defile are purify and cleanse. The antonyms purify and cleanse convey the idea of removing impurities or making something clean.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To remove impurities from something; to make something pure.
The water is treated to purify it before it is used for drinking.
To make something clean by removing dirt, pollutants, or other unwanted substances.
She used a special soap to cleanse her face and remove all the makeup.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Purify is often used in a spiritual or religious context, while cleanse is more commonly used in a physical sense.
- 2Purify implies a deeper level of cleaning, while cleanse refers to a surface-level cleaning.
Good things to know
- 1Environmental Protection: Use purify and cleanse to describe methods of cleaning up polluted environments.
- 2Personal Hygiene: Use cleanse to describe washing or cleaning the body, face, or hair.
- 3Spiritual Practices: Use purify to describe spiritual practices that involve cleansing the mind, body, or soul.
The antonyms purify and cleanse convey the idea of removing impurities or making something clean. Purify is often used in a spiritual or religious context, while cleanse is more commonly used in a physical sense. Use these words to describe environmental protection, personal hygiene, and spiritual practices.