What is the antonym of “deoxidize”?
The antonyms of deoxidize are oxidize and oxygenate. The antonym oxidize means to combine with oxygen, while oxygenate means to supply or treat with oxygen.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To combine with oxygen, especially to form an oxide.
When iron is exposed to air and moisture, it will slowly oxidize and rust.
To supply or treat with oxygen.
The hospital uses a machine to oxygenate the blood of patients with respiratory problems.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Oxidize refers to the chemical reaction of combining with oxygen, while deoxidize refers to the removal of oxygen from a substance.
- 2Oxygenate refers to the process of supplying or treating with oxygen, which can be beneficial for living organisms and certain materials.
Good things to know
- 1Chemistry: Use these antonyms to describe chemical reactions involving oxygen.
- 2Environmental Science: Use these antonyms to discuss the effects of oxygen on natural and man-made materials.
- 3Medical Science: Use oxygenate to describe medical treatments that involve supplying oxygen to patients.
The antonyms of deoxidize are oxidize and oxygenate. Oxidize refers to the combination of oxygen with a substance, while deoxidize refers to the removal of oxygen. Oxygenate refers to the process of supplying or treating with oxygen, which can be beneficial for living organisms and certain materials. These antonyms can be used in chemistry, environmental science, and medical science contexts.