What is the antonym of “depart”?
The antonyms of depart are arrive, come, and enter. These words convey the opposite meaning of leaving or going away from a place.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To reach a destination or come to a place.
We will arrive at the airport at 8 pm.
To move towards or approach a particular place or person.
Please come to my office when you have time.
To go into or come inside a place.
You need a key to enter the building.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Arrive is used when someone reaches a destination, while depart is used when someone leaves a place.
- 2Come is used when someone moves towards a place or person, while depart is used when someone moves away from a place or person.
- 3Enter is used when someone goes into or comes inside a place, while depart is used when someone goes out of or leaves a place.
Good things to know
- 1Travel: Use arrive and depart when talking about transportation and travel plans.
- 2Meetings: Use come and enter when inviting someone to a meeting or event.
- 3Directions: Use arrive and enter when giving or receiving directions to a location.
The antonyms of depart are arrive, come, and enter. Use arrive when someone reaches a destination, come when someone moves towards a place or person, and enter when someone goes into or comes inside a place. Use these words in different contexts such as travel, meetings, and directions.