What is the antonym of “devious”?
The antonyms of devious are honest and straightforward. The antonyms honest and straightforward convey a positive and truthful meaning. It implies a lack of deceit, dishonesty, or trickery.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Telling the truth and not cheating or stealing; being sincere and upright.
He was an honest man who always kept his promises.
Direct and clear in communication or action; not involving any hidden motives or agendas.
She gave him a straightforward answer to his question.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Honest describes a person who tells the truth and does not cheat or steal.
- 2Straightforward describes a communication or action that is direct and clear, without any hidden motives or agendas.
Good things to know
- 1Express Trustworthiness: Use honest and straightforward to show that you are trustworthy and reliable.
- 2Clarify Communication: Use straightforward to make your message clear and easy to understand.
- 3Avoid Misunderstandings: Use honest to avoid misunderstandings and build strong relationships based on trust.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Honest describes a person who tells the truth and does not cheat or steal, while straightforward describes a communication or action that is direct and clear, without any hidden motives or agendas. Use these words to express trustworthiness, clarify communication, and avoid misunderstandings.