What is the antonym of “devoir”?
The French word devoir has several antonyms, including option, choice, and voluntary. These words convey the opposite meaning of devoir, which implies an obligation or duty.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
A thing that is or may be chosen among several alternatives.
Taking a gap year after high school is a popular option for students who want to travel or gain work experience.
An act of selecting or making a decision when faced with two or more possibilities.
She had to make a difficult choice between accepting a job offer in another city or staying close to her family.
Done, given, or acting of one's own free will.
He decided to do some voluntary work at a local charity to give back to the community.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Option implies a range of choices or alternatives, whereas devoir implies an obligation or duty.
- 2Choice implies a decision-making process, whereas devoir implies a sense of responsibility or moral obligation.
- 3Voluntary implies an action taken willingly, whereas devoir implies an action taken out of necessity or obligation.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Vocabulary: Learn and use these antonyms to expand your French vocabulary.
- 2Clarify Meaning: Use these antonyms to clarify the meaning of devoir in context.
- 3Express Preferences: Use option and choice to express preferences or opinions in conversations.