What is the antonym of “dignitary”?
The antonyms of dignitary are commoner and peasant. The antonyms commoner and peasant refer to people who do not hold high positions or have a lot of wealth.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
A person who does not belong to the nobility or aristocracy; an ordinary person.
The prince fell in love with a commoner and decided to marry her despite opposition from his family.
A poor farmer or agricultural laborer, especially one who owns or rents a small piece of land for cultivation.
The peasants worked hard in the fields all day to earn a meager living.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Commoner refers to a person who does not belong to the nobility or aristocracy, while peasant specifically refers to a poor farmer or agricultural laborer.
- 2Commoner can also be used to describe someone who is not famous or well-known, while peasant is only used to describe someone's social status.
Good things to know
- 1Social Studies: Use these antonyms to discuss social hierarchies and class systems.
- 2History: Incorporate these words when studying feudal societies and monarchies.
- 3Vocabulary Building: Learn these antonyms to expand your vocabulary and improve your communication skills.