What is the antonym of “dilation”?
The antonyms of dilation are contraction and narrowing. These words describe opposite actions in terms of size or width.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The process of becoming smaller or narrower.
The muscles in his arm went into contraction when he lifted the heavy weight.
The process of becoming less wide or less broad.
The narrowing of the road made it difficult for two cars to pass each other.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Contraction refers to a decrease in size or width, while dilation refers to an increase in size or width.
- 2Narrowing is a specific type of contraction that refers to a decrease in width or breadth.
Good things to know
- 1Medical Terminology: Use these antonyms to describe changes in blood vessels, pupils, and other organs.
- 2Science: Incorporate these words to explain physical processes such as muscle movement, breathing, and cell division.
- 3Everyday Life: Use these words to describe changes in size, width, or breadth, such as in roads, pipes, and clothing.
The antonyms of dilation are contraction and narrowing. While contraction refers to a decrease in size or width, narrowing is a specific type of contraction that refers to a decrease in width or breadth. These words can be used in medical terminology, science, and everyday life to describe changes in size, width, or breadth.