What is the antonym of “disallowable”?
The antonyms of disallowable are allowable, permissible, and acceptable. These words convey the opposite meaning of disallowable, which means not permitted or prohibited.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Permitted or authorized; not prohibited.
The company has set a budget for allowable expenses that employees can claim.
Allowed or permitted by law, rule, or authority.
Smoking is not permissible in public places.
Able to be tolerated or approved; satisfactory.
His behavior was not acceptable in the workplace.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Allowable refers to something that is permitted or authorized, usually within a set of rules or guidelines.
- 2Permissible refers to something that is allowed or permitted by law, rule, or authority.
- 3Acceptable refers to something that is able to be tolerated or approved, usually based on personal or societal standards.
Good things to know
- 1Legal Documents: Use allowable and permissible in legal documents to describe what is allowed or not allowed.
- 2Social Norms: Use acceptable to describe what is socially acceptable or not.
- 3Business Policies: Use allowable to describe what expenses are allowed or not allowed in business policies.