What is the antonym of “disapproval”?
The antonyms of disapproval are approval, praise, and commendation. These words convey a positive or favorable evaluation of someone or something, as opposed to disapproving or criticizing them.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The act of officially agreeing to or accepting something; a positive evaluation or endorsement.
The manager gave her approval for the new project proposal.
To express admiration or approval for someone or something; to commend or laud.
The teacher praised the student for their excellent performance in the exam.
An expression of approval or admiration for someone's achievements or qualities; a recommendation or endorsement.
The employee received a commendation from the CEO for their outstanding work on the project.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Approval is an official agreement or acceptance of something, while praise and commendation are expressions of admiration or approval.
- 2Praise is a verb that describes the act of expressing admiration or approval, while commendation is a noun that refers to an expression of approval or recommendation.
- 3Commendation is often used in formal contexts, such as awards or official recognition, while praise can be used in both formal and informal settings.
Good things to know
- 1Giving Feedback: Use approval, praise, or commendation to provide positive feedback and reinforce good behavior.
- 2Expressing Gratitude: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to show appreciation and gratitude.
- 3Writing Recommendations: Utilize these antonyms in letters of recommendation to endorse someone's skills or qualities.
The antonyms of disapproval are approval, praise, and commendation. Use approval to indicate official agreement, praise to express admiration, and commendation to recommend or endorse someone. These words can be used to give feedback, express gratitude, and write recommendations.