What is the antonym of “discreetness”?
The antonyms of discreetness are indiscretion and imprudence. The antonyms indiscretion and imprudence convey a lack of caution or carefulness. It implies a tendency to act without thinking things through or to reveal confidential information.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Lack of good judgment or care in behavior, especially by saying or doing something that should be kept secret.
His indiscretion in sharing the company's financial information with his friends led to his termination.
Lack of caution or wisdom in making decisions or taking actions.
Her imprudence in investing all her savings in a risky business venture resulted in her losing everything.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Indiscretion refers to a specific act of revealing confidential information or behaving carelessly.
- 2Imprudence is a more general term that describes a lack of caution or wisdom in decision-making or actions.
Good things to know
- 1Professional Settings: Use these antonyms to describe behaviors that are not appropriate in professional settings, such as sharing confidential information or making unwise decisions.
- 2Personal Relationships: Incorporate these antonyms in conversations to discuss behaviors that can harm personal relationships, such as gossiping or making impulsive decisions.
- 3Writing: Utilize these antonyms in writing to create characters with distinct personalities and behaviors.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Indiscretion refers to a specific act of revealing confidential information or behaving carelessly, while imprudence is a more general term that describes a lack of caution or wisdom in decision-making or actions. Use these words to describe inappropriate behaviors in professional settings, personal relationships, and writing.