What is the antonym of “disputing”?
The antonyms of disputing are agree and concede. The antonyms agree and concede convey a sense of acceptance or agreement, which is the opposite of disputing or arguing.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To have the same opinion or belief as someone else; to come to a mutual understanding or decision.
After discussing the matter, they finally agreed on a solution that worked for everyone.
To admit that something is true or valid, often after initially denying or resisting it.
After a long debate, he finally conceded that his opponent had a valid point.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Agree implies a mutual understanding or consensus between two or more parties.
- 2Concede implies admitting that someone else's argument or position is valid, even if one does not necessarily agree with it.
Good things to know
- 1Negotiations: Use agree to indicate a mutual understanding or consensus in negotiations.
- 2Debates: Use concede to acknowledge the validity of an opposing argument in a debate.
- 3Everyday Conversations: Use these antonyms to express agreement or disagreement in everyday conversations.
The antonyms agree and concede convey a sense of acceptance or agreement, which is the opposite of disputing. Agree implies a mutual understanding or consensus, while concede implies admitting the validity of an opposing argument. These antonyms can be used in negotiations, debates, and everyday conversations to express agreement or disagreement.