What is the antonym of “dissimilar”?
The antonyms of dissimilar are similar, alike, and same. These words convey the opposite meaning of dissimilar, which means not alike or different in some way.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Having a likeness or resemblance; almost the same.
The two paintings were so similar that it was hard to tell them apart.
In the same or similar way; having similarities.
The twins looked so alike that even their parents had trouble telling them apart.
Identical or not different; being one without any addition, change, or discontinuance.
The two dresses were exactly the same color and style.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Similar implies that two things share some characteristics or qualities but may not be identical.
- 2Alike is used to describe things that are very similar or almost identical.
- 3Same refers to things that are identical or not different in any way.
Good things to know
- 1Comparing and Contrasting: Use these antonyms to compare and contrast different objects, people, or ideas.
- 2Describing Differences: Use these antonyms to describe how things are different from each other.
- 3Clarifying Meanings: Use these antonyms to clarify the meaning of words and concepts.
The antonyms of dissimilar are similar, alike, and same. Use these words to compare and contrast different objects, people, or ideas, describe differences, and clarify meanings.