What is the antonym of “distort”?
The antonym of distort are clarify, elucidate, and explain. The antonyms clarify, elucidate, and explain convey a positive or constructive meaning. It implies a clear, accurate, and truthful representation of information.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To make something clear or easy to understand by explaining it in more detail.
Could you clarify what you meant by that statement?
To explain or clarify something by providing additional information or details.
The professor used examples to elucidate the complex theory.
To make something clear or understandable by giving reasons or details.
Can you explain how this machine works?
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Clarify is used when there is confusion or ambiguity in the information that needs to be resolved.
- 2Elucidate is used when the information is complex or difficult to understand, and requires further explanation.
- 3Explain is used when the information is new or unfamiliar, and requires a detailed description.
Good things to know
- 1Academic Writing: Use clarify, elucidate, and explain to provide clear and accurate information in research papers and essays.
- 2Professional Communication: Incorporate antonyms in emails and reports to ensure that the message is clear and easily understood.
- 3Everyday Conversation: Utilize these antonyms in conversations to avoid misunderstandings and to provide clarity.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Clarify is used to resolve confusion or ambiguity, elucidate is used for complex information, and explain is used for new or unfamiliar information. Use these words to provide clear and accurate information in academic writing, professional communication, and everyday conversation.