What is the antonym of “disturb”?
The antonyms of disturb are calm, comfort, and soothe. These words convey a sense of peace, tranquility, and relaxation.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not showing or feeling nervousness, anger, or other strong emotions; peaceful.
She took a deep breath to stay calm during the job interview.
To provide physical or emotional relief from pain, stress, or discomfort.
He tried to comfort his friend who had lost her pet dog.
To calm or relieve someone's feelings of distress or anxiety.
The sound of the ocean waves helped to soothe her nerves.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Calm refers to a state of peacefulness and lack of strong emotions.
- 2Comfort is a verb that describes the act of providing relief from pain or distress.
- 3Soothe is also a verb that describes the act of calming or relieving someone's feelings of distress or anxiety.
Good things to know
- 1Express Empathy: Use comfort and soothe to show support and understanding in difficult situations.
- 2Promote Relaxation: Use calm to describe a peaceful environment or state of mind.
- 3Enhance Writing: Incorporate these antonyms in narratives to create vivid descriptions and evoke emotions in readers.
The antonyms of disturb are calm, comfort, and soothe. Use calm to describe a peaceful state of mind, comfort and soothe to express empathy and promote relaxation. Incorporate these antonyms in narratives to create vivid descriptions and evoke emotions in readers.