What is the antonym of “divergent”?
The antonym of divergent are convergent, similar, and parallel. These words convey the opposite meaning of divergent, which means moving apart or becoming different.
See all the antonyms of “divergent”
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Tending to move toward a common point or goal.
The two roads are convergent and will meet at the roundabout.
Having qualities in common; resembling something else.
The two paintings are similar in style and color scheme.
Moving or lying in the same direction and remaining equidistant at all points.
The train tracks run parallel to the highway.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Convergent refers to things that are moving towards a common point or goal.
- 2Similar describes things that have qualities in common or resemble each other.
- 3Parallel refers to things that are moving or lying in the same direction and remaining equidistant at all points.
Good things to know
- 1Mathematics: Use convergent and divergent when discussing sequences and series.
- 2Science: Use parallel and divergent when describing the movement of light rays.
- 3Writing: Use similar and parallel to compare and contrast ideas or characters in a story.
The antonyms of divergent are convergent, similar, and parallel. These words convey different meanings: convergent refers to things moving towards a common point, similar describes things with qualities in common, and parallel refers to things moving or lying in the same direction. Use these words in mathematics, science, and writing to convey precise meanings.