What is the antonym of “drizzle”?
The antonyms of drizzle are downpour and deluge. The antonyms downpour and deluge convey a heavy and intense rainfall.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
A heavy and sudden rainfall.
We had to cancel our picnic plans due to the downpour that started in the afternoon.
A severe flood or a heavy downpour of rain.
The city was hit by a deluge that caused widespread flooding and damage.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Downpour is a sudden and heavy rainfall that lasts for a short period of time.
- 2Deluge is a more severe and prolonged rainfall that can cause flooding and damage.
Good things to know
- 1Weather Reports: Use downpour and deluge to describe heavy rainfall in weather reports.
- 2Creative Writing: Incorporate these antonyms in narratives to create vivid descriptions of weather conditions.
- 3Daily Conversations: Use these words to describe the intensity of rainfall in daily conversations.
The antonyms downpour and deluge convey a heavy and intense rainfall. Downpour is a sudden and heavy rainfall, while deluge is a more severe and prolonged rainfall that can cause flooding and damage. Use these words in weather reports, creative writing, and daily conversations to describe the intensity of rainfall.