What is the antonym of “elongating”?
The antonyms of elongating are shorten, curtail, and abbreviate. These words convey the opposite meaning of elongating, which means to make something longer or extend its length.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To make something shorter in length or duration.
She had to shorten her essay because it was too long.
To reduce or limit something, usually by cutting it short.
Due to budget cuts, the company had to curtail its operations.
To shorten a word or phrase by omitting letters or syllables.
The Latin phrase 'et cetera' is often abbreviated as 'etc.'
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Shorten refers to reducing the length or duration of something.
- 2Curtail implies limiting or cutting something short, often due to external factors.
- 3Abbreviate specifically refers to shortening a word or phrase by omitting letters or syllables.
Good things to know
- 1Writing: Use these antonyms to vary sentence structure and avoid repetition.
- 2Speaking: Incorporate these words in conversations to express ideas more precisely.
- 3Academic: Use these antonyms in academic writing to demonstrate a nuanced understanding of language.
The antonyms of elongating are shorten, curtail, and abbreviate. These words have distinct meanings: Shorten refers to reducing length or duration, curtail implies limiting or cutting short, and abbreviate specifically refers to shortening words or phrases. Use these words to enhance writing, speaking, and academic work.