What is the antonym of “embolden”?
The antonyms of embolden are discourage and deter. The antonyms discourage and deter convey a negative or dissuasive meaning. They imply a lack of confidence, courage, or determination.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To cause someone to lose confidence, hope, or enthusiasm.
The harsh criticism from her boss discouraged her from pursuing her dream job.
To prevent or discourage someone from doing something by creating fear, doubt, or anxiety.
The warning signs on the fence were meant to deter trespassers from entering the property.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Discourage implies a loss of confidence, hope, or enthusiasm.
- 2Deter implies prevention or discouragement by creating fear, doubt, or anxiety.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Communication: Use discourage and deter to express negative or dissuasive meanings effectively.
- 2Show Empathy: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to demonstrate understanding.
- 3Enrich Writing: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to create tension and conflict.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Discourage implies a loss of confidence, hope, or enthusiasm, while deter implies prevention or discouragement by creating fear, doubt, or anxiety. Use these words to enhance communication, show empathy in conversations, and enrich writing by creating tension and conflict.