What is the antonym of “enlightenment”?
The antonyms of enlightenment are ignorance and darkness. The antonyms ignorance and darkness convey a lack of knowledge, understanding, or awareness.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Lack of knowledge, information, or awareness about something.
His ignorance about the subject was evident from the way he answered the questions.
The absence of light; the state of being dark or dim.
The darkness of the room made it hard to see anything clearly.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Ignorance refers to a lack of knowledge or information about something.
- 2Darkness refers to the absence of light or the state of being dark or dim.
Good things to know
- 1Education: Use enlightenment and ignorance to discuss the importance of knowledge and awareness.
- 2Philosophy: Incorporate these antonyms in philosophical discussions about the nature of reality and perception.
- 3Metaphors: Use darkness as a metaphor for ignorance or lack of understanding.
The antonyms of enlightenment are ignorance and darkness. Use these words to discuss the importance of knowledge and awareness, incorporate them in philosophical discussions, and use darkness as a metaphor for ignorance or lack of understanding.