What is the antonym of “ennobled”?
The antonyms of ennobled are debase, disgrace, and humiliate. These words convey the opposite meaning of ennobled, which means to elevate or dignify someone or something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To lower the quality, value, or character of something; to degrade or corrupt.
The politician's scandalous behavior debased his reputation and credibility.
A state of shame or loss of respect caused by bad behavior or a shameful act; to bring shame or dishonor to someone or something.
His cheating in the exam brought disgrace to his family and school.
To cause someone to feel ashamed, embarrassed, or degraded by making them appear foolish or inferior.
The boss's public criticism of her work humiliated her in front of her colleagues.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Debase refers to lowering the quality or value of something.
- 2Disgrace refers to bringing shame or dishonor to someone or something.
- 3Humiliate refers to causing someone to feel ashamed or embarrassed.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Vocabulary: Use these antonyms to expand your vocabulary and express yourself more precisely.
- 2Improve Writing: Incorporate these antonyms in your writing to create contrast and convey different shades of meaning.
- 3Avoid Misunderstandings: Be aware of the nuances of these antonyms to avoid using them interchangeably and causing confusion.
The antonyms of ennobled are debase, disgrace, and humiliate. These words have distinct meanings: debase refers to lowering quality or value, disgrace refers to bringing shame or dishonor, and humiliate refers to causing shame or embarrassment. Use these antonyms to enhance vocabulary, improve writing, and avoid misunderstandings.