What is the antonym of “equivocal”?
The antonym of equivocal is clear, unequivocal, and definite. The antonyms clear, unequivocal, and definite convey a clear and unambiguous meaning. It implies that there is no doubt or uncertainty in the message conveyed.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Easy to perceive, understand, or interpret; not vague or ambiguous.
The instructions were clear and concise, making it easy for everyone to follow.
Leaving no doubt or uncertainty; unambiguous.
Her answer was unequivocal, leaving no room for further discussion.
Clearly defined or determined; not vague or uncertain.
He had a definite plan in mind and was determined to see it through.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Clear is a general term that describes something that is easy to understand or interpret.
- 2Unequivocal is a more specific term that describes something that leaves no doubt or uncertainty.
- 3Definite is a term that describes something that is clearly defined or determined.
Good things to know
- 1Effective Communication: Use clear, unequivocal, and definite to convey a clear and unambiguous message.
- 2Avoid Misunderstandings: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to avoid confusion and misunderstandings.
- 3Improve Writing: Utilize these antonyms in writing to create clear and concise messages.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Clear conveys something that is easy to understand, unequivocal denotes something that leaves no doubt, and definite refers to something that is clearly defined. Use these words to improve communication, avoid misunderstandings, and create clear and concise messages in writing.