What is the antonym of “erupting”?
The antonyms of erupting are calm, subside, and die down. These antonyms describe the opposite of an eruption, which is a sudden and violent outburst of something.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Not showing or feeling nervousness, anger, or other strong emotions; peaceful.
After the storm passed, the sea became calm and serene.
Become less intense, violent, or severe.
The pain in his leg began to subside after he took some painkillers.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Calm describes a state of peace and tranquility, while erupting describes a sudden and violent outburst.
- 2Subside implies a gradual decrease in intensity, while erupting implies a sudden increase in intensity.
- 3Die down suggests a gradual decrease in strength or loudness, while erupting suggests a sudden and explosive release of energy.
Good things to know
- 1Enhance Communication: Use these antonyms to describe different states of intensity and emotion.
- 2Science: Use these antonyms when discussing volcanic activity or other natural phenomena.
- 3Daily Life: Use these antonyms to describe changes in weather, moods, or situations.
The antonyms of erupting are calm, subside, and die down. These words describe the opposite of a sudden and violent outburst. Use them to describe different states of intensity and emotion, discuss natural phenomena, or describe changes in weather, moods, or situations.