What is the antonym of “escapable”?
The antonyms of escapable are inescapable and unavoidable. The antonyms inescapable and unavoidable describe situations or events that cannot be avoided or escaped.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Unable to be avoided or escaped; inevitable.
The consequences of his actions were inescapable, and he had to face them.
Impossible to avoid or prevent.
The traffic jam was unavoidable, and he had to wait for an hour before reaching his destination.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Inescapable implies that a situation or event is impossible to avoid or escape, while unavoidable suggests that it is difficult or impractical to avoid or prevent.
- 2Both words have similar meanings, but inescapable is often used to describe negative consequences, while unavoidable can be used in both positive and negative contexts.
Good things to know
- 1Express Certainty: Use inescapable to convey that something is certain and cannot be avoided.
- 2Describe Situations: Use unavoidable to describe situations that are difficult or impractical to avoid or prevent.
- 3Enhance Writing: Incorporate these antonyms in writing to add variety and precision to your language.
The antonyms inescapable and unavoidable describe situations or events that cannot be avoided or escaped. Inescapable implies certainty, while unavoidable suggests difficulty or impracticality. Use these words to express certainty, describe situations, and enhance your writing.