What is the antonym of “exacerbating”?
The antonyms of exacerbating are alleviate, ease, and relieve. These words convey the opposite meaning of making something worse or more severe. Instead, they imply reducing or lessening the severity of a situation.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To make something less severe or intense.
Taking painkillers can alleviate the symptoms of a headache.
To make something less difficult or burdensome.
The new software is designed to ease the process of data entry.
To reduce or remove the intensity or severity of something.
A hot shower can relieve muscle tension and soreness.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Alleviate implies reducing the severity of something, usually related to physical or emotional discomfort.
- 2Ease refers to making something less difficult or burdensome, often related to tasks or processes.
- 3Relieve implies reducing or removing the intensity or severity of something, often related to pain or discomfort.
Good things to know
- 1Healthcare: Use alleviate and relieve to describe treatments that reduce pain or discomfort.
- 2Productivity: Use ease to describe tools or processes that make tasks less burdensome.
- 3Communication: Incorporate these antonyms in conversations to express the opposite meaning of exacerbating.