What is the antonym of “exactness”?
The antonyms of exactness are inaccuracy and imprecision. These antonyms convey the opposite meaning of precision, accuracy, or correctness.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The quality of being incorrect or not precise.
The inaccuracy of the weather forecast caused many people to be unprepared for the storm.
The quality of lacking accuracy or exactness.
The imprecision of the measurements made it difficult to determine the correct dosage of medication.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Inaccuracy refers to something that is incorrect or not precise.
- 2Imprecision refers to something that lacks accuracy or exactness.
Good things to know
- 1Academic Writing: Use exactness to describe precise and accurate information, and use inaccuracy and imprecision to critique or point out errors in research or data.
- 2Technical Writing: Use exactness to describe precise and accurate technical specifications, and use inaccuracy and imprecision to highlight errors or discrepancies in technical documentation.
- 3Everyday Conversation: Use these antonyms to express the degree of accuracy or precision in everyday conversations, such as when discussing measurements, directions, or instructions.
The antonyms of exactness are inaccuracy and imprecision, which convey the opposite meaning of precision, accuracy, or correctness. Use these words to describe the degree of accuracy or precision in academic and technical writing, as well as in everyday conversations.