Definitions and Examples of ignore, neglect
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Refuse to take notice of or acknowledge; disregard intentionally.
He decided to ignore the warning signs and ended up regretting it.
Fail to care for properly; disregard or ignore through lack of attention.
She neglected her health by not exercising regularly and eating unhealthy food.
Key Differences: ignore vs neglect
- 1Ignore implies a conscious decision to not pay attention or acknowledge something or someone.
- 2Neglect implies a lack of care or attention towards something or someone, often resulting in harm or damage.
Effective Usage of ignore, neglect
- 1Enhance Communication: Use ignore and neglect to express a lack of attention or consideration effectively.
- 2Show Responsibility: Incorporate antonyms in conversations to demonstrate accountability.
- 3Enrich Writing: Utilize these antonyms in narratives to create conflict and tension.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Ignore conveys a conscious decision to not pay attention, while neglect implies a lack of care or attention. Use these words to enhance communication, show responsibility in conversations, and enrich writing by creating conflict and tension.