What is the antonym of “exothermic”?
The antonym of exothermic is endothermic and heat-absorbing. The antonyms endothermic and heat-absorbing describe a process that absorbs heat from the surroundings, while exothermic describes a process that releases heat to the surroundings.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Describing a process or reaction that absorbs heat from the surroundings.
Photosynthesis is an endothermic process that requires energy from sunlight.
Absorbing heat from the surroundings.
Ice cubes are heat-absorbing and can cool down a drink.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Endothermic refers specifically to a process that absorbs heat from the surroundings.
- 2Heat-absorbing is a more general term that describes any substance or material that absorbs heat.
- 3Exothermic refers to a process that releases heat to the surroundings.
Good things to know
- 1Science: Use these antonyms in science classes to describe chemical reactions and physical processes.
- 2Cooking: Incorporate these antonyms in cooking classes to explain the science behind cooking techniques.
- 3Environment: Utilize these antonyms to describe the transfer of heat in natural systems such as the atmosphere and oceans.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Endothermic describes a process that absorbs heat, heat-absorbing is a more general term for substances that absorb heat, and exothermic describes a process that releases heat. Use these words in science, cooking, and environmental contexts to describe processes that involve the transfer of heat.