The Opposite(Antonym) of “extenuation”
The antonyms of extenuation are aggravation and exacerbation. These words convey the opposite meaning of extenuation, which is to make something less severe or serious.
Explore all Antonyms of “extenuation”
Definitions and Examples of aggravation, exacerbation
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The act of making a problem or situation worse.
The delay in the project caused a lot of aggravation for the team.
The act of making a problem or situation more severe or intense.
The heat wave led to an exacerbation of the drought conditions.
Key Differences: aggravation vs exacerbation
- 1Aggravation refers to making a problem worse, while extenuation refers to making it less severe.
- 2Exacerbation refers to making a problem more severe or intense, while extenuation refers to reducing its severity.
Effective Usage of aggravation, exacerbation
- 1Legal Context: Use extenuation in legal contexts to refer to the reduction of the seriousness of a crime or offense.
- 2Medical Context: Use exacerbation to describe the worsening of a medical condition or symptoms.
- 3Everyday Conversations: Use aggravation to express frustration or annoyance with a situation that has become worse.
The antonyms of extenuation are aggravation and exacerbation. While extenuation means to make something less severe, aggravation and exacerbation mean to make it worse or more severe. Use these words in legal and medical contexts or everyday conversations to express the appropriate meaning.