What is the antonym of “extolment”?
The antonyms of extolment are criticism and condemnation. These words convey a negative or disapproving opinion about something or someone.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
The act of expressing disapproval or pointing out faults or shortcomings.
The book received mixed reviews, with some readers offering criticism about the plot.
The expression of strong disapproval or censure; the act of declaring something wrong or evil.
The government issued a statement of condemnation against the terrorist attack.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Criticism is a general term that refers to pointing out faults or shortcomings.
- 2Condemnation is a stronger term that implies a moral judgment and a declaration of wrongdoing.
Good things to know
- 1Express Opinions: Use criticism or condemnation to express your disapproval or disagreement with something.
- 2Analyze Texts: Identify instances of criticism or condemnation in written texts to understand the author's perspective.
- 3Debate Topics: Use these antonyms to argue for or against a particular topic or issue.
The antonyms of extolment are criticism and condemnation. While criticism refers to pointing out faults or shortcomings, condemnation implies a moral judgment and a declaration of wrongdoing. Use these words to express opinions, analyze texts, or debate topics.