What is the antonym of “familiarness”?
The antonyms of familiarness are unfamiliarity, strangeness, and distance. These antonyms describe the opposite of being familiar or well-known with something or someone.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
Lack of knowledge or experience with something or someone.
The new student felt a sense of unfamiliarity in the classroom.
The quality of being unfamiliar, unusual, or bizarre.
The strangeness of the town's customs made the traveler feel uneasy.
The state of being far away or remote from something or someone.
The distance between the two friends made it hard for them to keep in touch.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Unfamiliarity refers to a lack of knowledge or experience with something or someone.
- 2Strangeness describes something that is unusual or bizarre.
- 3Distance refers to the physical or emotional separation between two things or people.
Good things to know
- 1Travel: Use unfamiliarity and strangeness to describe new places and cultures.
- 2Relationships: Use distance to describe the emotional separation between two people.
- 3Learning: Use unfamiliarity to describe new concepts or ideas that are not yet understood.