What is the antonym of “fan”?
The antonyms of fan are critic and detractor. The antonyms critic and detractor convey a negative or unfavorable opinion about something or someone. It implies a lack of admiration, support, or enthusiasm.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
A person who judges the merits and faults of something, especially in the arts.
The critic gave the movie a bad review, citing poor acting and a weak plot.
A person who disparages or belittles someone or something.
Despite her success, there were always detractors who criticized her work and tried to bring her down.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Critic is a more neutral term that describes a person who evaluates the merits and faults of something, often in a professional capacity.
- 2Detractor is a more negative term that describes a person who actively disparages or belittles someone or something.
Good things to know
- 1Express Opinions: Use fan, critic, and detractor to express opinions about people, things, or events.
- 2Analyze Art: Incorporate these antonyms in discussions about art, music, literature, or film to analyze their merits and faults.
- 3Debate Ideas: Utilize these antonyms in debates or arguments to present different perspectives and viewpoints.
The antonyms have distinct nuances: Critic conveys a neutral evaluation of something, while detractor denotes an active disparagement. Use these words to express opinions, analyze art, and debate ideas by presenting different perspectives and viewpoints.