What is the antonym of “fathom”?
The antonyms of fathom are misunderstand and confuse. The antonyms misunderstand and confuse convey a lack of understanding or clarity.
Brief Definitions of the Antonym(s)
Learn when and how to use these words with these examples!
To fail to understand or interpret correctly.
I think you misunderstood what I said. Let me explain it again.
To make someone uncertain or unclear about something; to mix up or mistake one thing for another.
The instructions were so complicated that they confused me even more.
How are these antonyms different from each other?
- 1Misunderstand implies a failure to comprehend or interpret something correctly.
- 2Confuse implies a state of uncertainty or lack of clarity due to mixed-up or mistaken information.
Good things to know
- 1Clarify Communication: Use misunderstand and confuse to clarify misunderstandings and promote clear communication.
- 2Avoid Confusion: Use these antonyms to avoid confusion and ensure that everyone is on the same page.
- 3Improve Comprehension: Incorporate these antonyms in language learning to improve comprehension and retention of new vocabulary.
The antonyms misunderstand and confuse convey a lack of understanding or clarity. Use these words to clarify communication, avoid confusion, and improve comprehension in language learning.